Every day the internet is moving away from status of a luxury to a vital tool. We live in a world where the internet has become a vital tool for social and civic engagement. It part of our lifestyles. With this knowledge there is little question why we've seen so much discussion around the the "digital divide," a phrase which refers to the gaps and disparities between people who have internet access and those who don't. This post look into this phenomenom and examine the ways it manifests itself amongst different groups in America.
        I wondered how does the divide exist along cultural line. Culture is such a big part of our identities that it would make sense for it to influence this topic. the  For the purposes of this post we'll be lookibg at Blac and Latino groups. Again data from the pew researcher finds a disrinct gap between these groups and middle white America.
    I began by looking at what cultural groups are statistically lacking internet access in America, which is ,traditionally, how the digital divide has been characterized. Data from the Pew Researcher shows that the divide
, I started off by at the gap between those who have and those who have not, The way it been largely characterized in the media. And perhaps unsurpr isingly there was a distinct lack of internet connectivity amongst the elderly, amongst those with little financial freedom-specifically those without a high school degree. Now as pertaining to the elderly Data like this makes sense to a lot of us. We think the "elderly grew up in a different time, they don't find much value in the internet because they've adapted to a world without it." The data definately supports those ideas.
    But amingst the elderly who do use the internet, how do they percievie it?
    Data shows that amongst young adults the digital divide is very narrow.
    But that can't be fully accurate. In my experience as a student there is definately a division amongst the computer savvy.

And then those of low financial standing.
[then I'll end with this group]
Culture
Fina
Age
Divide amongst the youth nonexistant

Culture
black twitter
Financial Android and Iphone
Age
  Elderly
  Youth no divide

Everyday the internet is moving away from status as a luxury to a vital part of our lives. To there is little question why we've seen so much discussion around the the "digital divide," a phrase which refers to the gaps and disparities between people who have internet access and those who don't. This post look into this phenomenom and examine the ways it manifests itself amongst different groups in America.

The Digital Divide Along Cultural Lines, and its built in Hierarchy.

I began my research by looking at the cultural divide along America minority groups. When we think about the digital divide this is typically where we start, and unfortunately where a lot of research ends. Data from the 2006 states that the digital divide is in full affect with large disparities between White and Black and Latino groups in America. The data speaks in terms of ICT's and it deems private internet access as the prerequisite to be considered as having internet access. [FIX] But by the year 2011 that gap had closed quite a bit. In fact it has been stated that the digital divide doesn't really exist anymore.

So research done, I can throw my research neckerchief to the wind. And of course that was a problem for me. There may not be a gap as far as who has access to the internet and who doesn't but their is definately difference between only having internet access through one's phone and having access through a nice $1000 laptop. With the former the user is only viewer the internet for the most part. The latter has almost infinite freedom.
    So that question brought me to look at Twitter and its appeal. What sets Twitter apart from Facebook is that it is in its prime when viewed through the small window of a cell phone. I can use Twitter unfettered with my simple cheap smartphone. Its the most reliable app on my phone.

During research I ran across an interesting theory on Twitter, that Black Tweeter use Twitter differently than white.

Is this a bad thing?

Financial 

Google is quite active in narrowing the gap for lower income minority groups. They recently unveiled Google Fiber programs in Southern American communities. 

But and article from New York Times made me question the benefit of such a program. They found that amongst lower income groups much more time was spent online for entertainment. There better off counterparts where either much more conservative about their online activities or they were much more effictient. The article provides a quote from a stunned teacher who says that when asked her students state that they mainly use Twitter to "stalk" people. Is it that students aren't even using social media as a tool to enhance friendships.

In typical New York Times fashion they are 

The Digital Divide Doesn't affect Young Adults?
I was stunned to find out that among homeless young adults 75% have Facebook accounts.

Rephrasing The Digital Divide.
    To paraphrase "To phrase the discussuin in terms of having the internet and not having it is " a dichotomus approach is no longer sufficient to address the different dimensions of ineqaulity associated with different digital use.