Entry #1: A Print & Digital Reading Literacy Practices process entry, of you reading one NYT article across multiple platforms (750 words +/-).
Print headline: California Image vs. Dry Reality
Online headline: California Drought Tests History of Endless Growth
Your goal is to document as extensively as you can your reading process of a NYT article on at least three different platforms -- print, PDF, NYTimes.com and/or a mobile device.
The best and most interesting reading descriptions don't judge, evaluate, or prefer, but describe your reading experience and reading issues.
Experience: aesthetic, efferent, or foraging?
Issues: distractions, mind wandering, unfamiliar information, annotating
Six Excellent Tips for Your Print & Digital Reading Practices Project
- The trick to this kind of project is to try and catch yourself in the act of reading: do you read quickly? Slowly? Does your mind wander? Do you get bored? What is competing for your attention and how do you handle that? (Side note: I’m always interested in the claims that people make about distractions on digital devices — incoming texts, phone calls, checking FB — but can’t you get distracted when reading in print, too?)
- Treat it like an inquiry project — have observations, not answers — what do you notice about your own reading practice and about the technologies you’re using?
- In my example, the images are enormous because I knew I’d be showing it on an overhead projector. Yours don’t need to be huge like that. Feel free to aspire toward some subtlety.
- Notice typography — the visual elements — no matter the platform you’re reading on: what’s the role/effect of white space? Bolded elements? Color? Links? Images? http://condor.depaul.edu/dwrd/moore/wrd104/nyt_pageone_guide.pdf
- Be curious. Allow yourself some curiosity about both your own reading practices and about the issues discussed in the New York Times article we’re using for this project.
- If you’re more comfortable working in MS Word — for formatting, for working with images — go right ahead and I’ll show you later how to get that file professionally embedded in Digication: https://depaul.digication.com/gethelp/embed_PDF
Reading as a literacy practice as we've discussed it in class:
- Curiosity, or lack of?
- Text Recall
- Metacognitive learning regulation
Entry #2: A seven-day reading journal of the NYT