For Easter, the Sungmyung Church English Congregation decided to worship with the main Korean congregation at their service. I really hadn't thought much about what a Korean Presbyterian service might look like, so I had no expectations. I'm glad I didn't over think it.

The church itself looked pretty much like any other large, contemporary church in America, with a wide sanctuary narrowing toward the altar. To the right sat the 60+ strong choir, along with the organist and a handful of instrumentalists. The altar had lots of Easter flowers and floral arrangements, and banners throughout the sanctuary said 'Jesus is risen' roughly translated from hangul (they really said something like "Jesus resurrection did). 

Maria and I walked in as the congregation was singing some opening worship songs, led by 8 or 9 worship leaders standing and clapping below the altar. I instantly recognized the tune and later looked it up. They were singing Handel's "Thine is the Glory", in Korean obviously. They sang another song I recognized, and some others I didn't. Our hangul is just good enough that we can follow along and sing the hymns in Korean, although admittedly I only knew a few of the words we sang. I learned pretty quickly that 예수 (ye-su) is Jesus and 할렐루야 (hal-lel-lu-ya) is "hallelujah!" The words for 'love' and 'people" also came up pretty regularly. 

The service itself really wasn't much different from something you'd expect to see in a similar church in America. There was an offering, a scripture reading, a number of prayers. There were responses for the congregation to say. The choir sang a rousing number about Jesus rising from the dead. The pastor gave a passionate sermon, to which the congregation muttered sleepy 'Amen's and 'Hallelujah's like you'd expect from any church. This was all in, of course, Korean, so I spent much of the sermon translating things I saw with my phone. The pastor, who speaks some degree of English, explained that in English we say "Happy Easter" so at once the congregation turned to us and said as such. He also said a handful of words in English during the sermon.

Afterwards, as always, there is lunch in the church cafeteria for about 50 cents.

Overall, our experience at the Korean service was a very positive one. There's something comforting knowing that across the world, Christians are actively worshipping God in many of the same ways as ourselves. Did Handel have any idea that in a few hundred years folks in South Korea would be singing his music? Probably not. And what a comfort it is too that so many hearts have been touched by Jesus, even as far away as here.

This service could not have come at a better time for Maria and I as we come to terms with our relative isolation here. We are used to our closest circles comprising of Christians, and allowing their support to hold us afloat when we feel doubtful or, dare I say it, lazy. Now the trainers are off, the arm floaties sitting uselessly on the pool edge, and it's clear that our faith muscles are not as strong as they ought to be. Pray that we flex them again, that we commit ourselves again to Bible reading and prayer and loving our neighbors. I'm reminded of Mark 9:24, when a father says "help me in my unbelief!" We are also mulling the idea of starting a bible study in our part of town, since there are so few that serve the foreigner community in our neighborhood. We also look for service opportunities and volunteer organizations to put our faith into action, perhaps where we have fallen the shortest lately. There is so much room to grow!

Happy Easter to everyone!

예수 부활 하셨네! (Jesus Resurrection Did!)