I'm Dr. Jason Winslade and welcome to my teaching portfolio! Here you will find samples of my published (and unpublished) work, evaluation from other faculty and students, sample syllabi of several classes I have taught and others I hope to teach, my teaching philosophy, research agenda and cv. Much of my own scholarly work is informed by cultural studies and performance studies, with a particular emphasis on popular culture, especially in the realms of media (old and new), fandom, folklore, television, films, music, and comic books. More specifically, I often write about occulture (occultism in culture) and alternative consciousness culture and their various manifestations, ranging from popular fire festivals and rituals to comic books to Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

My approach to popular culture is defined by my training in performance studies, ethnography, ritual studies, and rhetorical analysis.  I bring this interdisciplinary knowledge and experience to my composition and rhetoric courses, focal point seminars, and Explore Chicago classes at DePaul. As a teacher, I am dedicated to helping students learn to write and think by accessing their inner sense of selves and their particular experience of the world around them. As a researcher, scholar/practitioner and performer, the fire represents for me a sacred site of transformation, a scene of connection, community, negotiation, knowledge, and ecstasy - always in the eternal now, always offering new insight into my work and life.