by Andre Smith, 2014 Challenger

Here I am diving back into the light of writing. What a feeling of frustration running through me as I sit each day wondering where will my next thoughts come from?

The realization then hits me that my thoughts are in fact just that, my thoughts. The purifications of unspoken words as a gift, that’s given to the world. Yes I have it now I will give the world a hidden glimpse of me.

When I write I have to begin with the end in mind, it allows me to become one with the words. No thought given to the content structure, just words on paper. But just putting words on paper will not fulfill my thirst and desire for sharing something pure and touching.

When writing becomes my goal my heart tends to skip a beat, then another, and another. I can’t tell of it stops for more than three or more beats at a time. I become engulfed in the idea that I am just writing. Then it hits me….. to consider what I am writing and why, who’s going to read this? Will they like it or dislike it? These non-factorial thoughts plague me, I care to know yet it does not matter. I do not write for others, but should I? I don’t write to gain popularity, but should I?

I write to express my feeling about experiences that have caused me to become me. I write to give myself inspiration to continue my life’s journey. And here I am 20 years after I decided that I have a love for writing. Still writing about how writing helps me by inspiring me to continue my life’s journey. Sounds like I should consider the fact that I have a calling for writing.

Enough about me, here’s my message to writers and futures writers. Trusting in your-self, trust that the message you have to share will be given to the audience in whom you have selected. If you are the only audience for your written work, then how easy can it be, to write for one self? If so then write for your own reasons and causes. Be a written voice for others who desire to be uplifted, inspired, intrigued, or captured by your words.

Properly preparing yourself by being in a place where you find either comfort or discomfort, which ever works for the individual! During the next four week I will be challenging myself to creatively write. Using the passion I have for sharing and giving back, to continuously write about things that I feel will bring inspiration to others. By inspiring others with written word, I hope to have helped guide and give motivation to someone, somewhere in the world.

The most challenging thing I find about accepting this challenge is that I have to openly express who I am through writing. However the most inspiring aspect of this challenge is that I have an opportunity to express who I am through written words.

What a wonderful feeling it must be to know that someone somewhere will read your words and find inspiration from it, inspiration that will lead them to become great in their craft’s. All from the words you gave them by deciding to accept the challenge. So accepting this challenge is more than just a way to get your words on paper but a way for you to give someone else inspiration to become who they are destined to become. Recreate their selves by seeing their faults and using that weakness as a strength to show and be seen in a different light. And the best of them all, overcoming your personal oppressions, finding out that the one critic who’s haunting you is you. While the one true person who has been given a divinity and pre-knowledge to overcome this oppression is none other than you yourself. I leave you with a final yet lengthy quote.

I’m in an uphill battle trying to motivate teens to pick up books and put down video game controllers.  Pick up a trade, rather than the typical corner store drug pushing hustler who destroys his brother for the financial growth of the unseen man.   Pick up pens and paper, write your way through the wrong stereotypical perceptions society placed upon you. There’s a spiritual to many, creating this I had writers block but God choose to send this next message to me, he turn lights on but we’re still mislead, My thoughts are to turn that light bulb on in your head. The cross roads I take routes that other would not, The cross roads is the life of a sister oiling my scalp. My energy is much larger than the size of my frame, my thought are much bigger than the size brain. When you see me I’m neither big nor small to the naked eye. Like a 12 point font of 25,000 words that inspire."