Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah, a Palestinian leader who advocates for tolerance, compassion and bridge building between people of all cultures and backgrounds. Her efforts to simultaneously challenge stereotypes of Arabs and Muslims, and promote greater understanding and acceptance between people of all faiths and cultures, have won her global recognition.

Her Majesty, Queen of Jordan.

SA: Being a simple Palestinian woman, did you ever imagine that you will be the Queen of Jordan?

RA: I knew I will be different and I made sure to be different. I grew up knowing that if I ever have the power, I will do anything I can to break stereotypes and this has been always the top of my agenda. I brought women’s voice to the United Nations, and yes as a Palestinian. 

SA: Do you think that the Syrian refugee camps in Jordan would create a drawback on Jordan’s future? Do they stop you from going forward?

RA: We embrace diversity. We strive to make it work in our favor and for sure in their favor as well. To me they are part of our community, because we welcomed them in and this requires us to take reasonable and sustainable actions. We have been working on an educational program to help kids get back on track.

Nothing stops us from getting forward as long as we are aware of what the consequences are. A lot of times we act out of pure empathy and get personally involved with cases of refugees, but we take a step back and think of the system. Creating a system is way more efficient than helping on a case by case level.

SA: What is on the agenda in terms of short term jobs for Syrian refugees in the UN camps?

RA: At this time, Jordan’s main focus is on the educational section of the equation, for that is the main deficiency aside from health and food justice. We try to work with different local organizations apart from USAID, to bring in local food and corps to the refugees. Along with that we have vocational schools that are willing to take certain numbers of students for continuing programs of education. Young Syrian men and women have been trying to find local day-to-day jobs that can bring them a little amount of income, but for sure nothing sustainable.

SA: What if we create push-carts and use local corps to create a street-vending market for refugees able and willing to work and contribute economically?

RA: This sounds brilliant! Let’s take this discussion off air.

SA: (Closing out) You were listening to GSB podcast with our honor guest, her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdallah, the Queen of Jordan.