This was an in class free write on our writing process. It was written on September 20, 2012. 

With a very artistic and open-minded right brain, I am constantly balancing it out with my organized and logical left-brain. This task of balance between the two sides is especially important when it comes to writing. Once given an assignment, my right brain starts turning, and the ideas and possibilities seem endless. Without a lot of order, I often feel a bit of anxiety and don’t know where to begin. To ease this anxiety, I grab a piece of (recycled) paper, and use the blank side to scribble down a rough outline. To contain all of my thoughts, and put structure to them, I normally shape them into the format of a five-paragraph essay. While this five-paragraph essay can be modified, I find it to be a good starting place to find logic and connections in all of my thoughts. I handwrite when I am brainstorming because it is a better visual for me, and I feel like I have more control over the paper and format that is forming in from of me.  

Once the outline is finished, I type my first draft. When I write my first draft, I don’t worry about proper grammar or word choice, I just write. I write using my right side of the brain, filling the paper with thoughts and using my imagination to make my writing as descriptive as possible. This is one of the reasons I am thankful for technology. Being able to get my thoughts and ideas in words so quickly, and then being able to revise them just as easily helps in my writing process. I write my entire paper without stopping. I think this continuous flow of thoughts and ideas is really important. The left side of my brain isn’t always satisfied with my finished first draft, but my right side of the brain has done its job and it is time for a rest.

A break in between the first draft and the second draft is really important. This is a time for my thoughts to regroup, and after anywhere between one hour and one day, I sit down again and my left-brain gets busy revising and once again putting sense to my paper. Usually these revisions include making the paper sound more formal (for class), which normally means fixing my word choices. I also often add in my transition sentences at this time, and any other sentences needed to add to the clarity of my paper. With my left-brain, I check the thesis and conclusion, making sure they align with the rest of the paper. Once the left-brain feels comfortable with the structure of my paper, I once again take a rest. After this break, both sides come together, and I read the paper several times looking for any changes that will enhance my paper.

So far, my writing process has worked pretty well for me. With each paper, I feel more comfortable as a writer. I think balancing each side of my brain is key, and I hope to continue to learn and grow as a writer.