When I came into college, I had a very negative view on reading and writing in general. I had always had trouble in English during high school, and was not confident at all with my writing skills. But thanks to the First Year Writing Program, I now understand the concept of thinking critically, analyzing, and drafting and it is reflected in my work and personal confidence. 

Critical thinking was not a new concept for me, but through the two courses I now know all of the different aspects that can make an analysis conclusive. It has become a second nature for me to ask questions during a reading, and identify the central claim an author is trying to make. Thinking critically was imperative in my research of the topic of health care and human rights. The readings of others then influenced me to create my own claim and support it throughout an entire paper. 

All of these new thinking processes have really changed the way I approach my writing. Before I had never really taken the time to create multiple drafts and re-read my work. Looking back, I now know this was why my writing was so unclear. I have now started the habit of reading my words out loud and re-reading what I have written each time I sit down to work on an assignment, and many times during. This has made it so I know that my writing is articulate and the reader will understand what I am trying to say. It has also made it so when I turn in a final product, I am completely confident that my work has been done to the best of my ability. 

I know that throughout the next three years at Depaul I will continue to use what I have learned and apply my skills to other subjects such as my biology and health classes. Because of my experiences in this class, I hope that I will be given the chance to write another research paper.