Reading Proficiency in the Modern World

What's the point of buying books and newspapers when you can just get it all online? As we all know, in this era, technology has had such an advancement that it abolishes the meaning of purchasing a materialistic item when it can be stored, saved and used on your cell phone or computer. The concept of reading has evolved over the years, but for the most part, people read in order to gain information. This can be done either digitally or through print material, but the effectiveness of reading is key as which method is more successful. Thus, this fascination of technology leads us to the debate over reading materials in print or digitally through a screen.

The idea of this paper is to to take a stand on one side of the argument and provide examples and reasons as to why you take that stand through the concepts of serendipity and annotation. However, intentionally ignoring that aspect, my method to persuade others has to deal with effectiveness and efficiency. I believe that those two terms are the core of reading, along with convenience, as they heavily impact the very busy college student. 

In my opinion, reading newspapers and books digitally through your phone or computer is much more convenient in ways that it saves time. Time is probably one the most desired things in the world. It’s no wonder why people say, “Oh if only I had more time” or “the clock I always ticking”. Ordering the newspaper is somewhat of a hassle because relying on your local delivery man may not always be reliable. I personally have had issues with the printed paper reaching my mailroom several times, making me behind on news I would like to be aware of. On the contrary, browsing The New York Times through your phone or computer allows you to save that time. For example, running out of your house every morning to fetch the paper is not only repetitive, but annoying. Why go out of your way for something that can be done in the palm of your hands? As Sweet Brown would say, “Ain’t nobody got time for that”.

Another factor that contributes to the concept of reading digitally or print is organization. I feel like the world lacks organization and this is something everyone should obtain in order to live a successful and structured life. Let’s say a frequent newspaper reader is classified as someone who receives the paper 3-4 times a week. The amount adds up and eventually creates a stockpile of papers in your office or home. This lacks organization because a bunch of papers are being thrown at you, and if you were to favor a certain article or section in the paper, you would have to dive in this mess to look for it. However, reading digitally allows you to read papers that are weeks old, bookmark them as a favorite if you’re interested, and continue to be up-to-date with current issues. You have the entire New York Times collection in the palm of your hands. If that’s not organization then please tell me what is.

The ultimate factor in reading The New York Times either digitally or through printed material is annotation and effectiveness of the material. The advantage of reading the printed paper is that you can simply take a pen and annotate stuff you find important. This leads society to jump to conclusions saying; oh, you can’t annotate digital print. False, the advancement of technology occurs on a daily basis and there are numerous ways in which you can annotate selected material within the paper. There are highlighting options, underlining options, and even cropping options if a certain paragraph or phrase grabs you attention and you wish to make it noticeable. This way you can read the paper effectively and efficiently.

When it comes to annotation, both provide effect methods

The first image shown is just a simple annotation of the printed New York Times with the use of a highlighter and a pen. The second image however, is annotated digitally through the use of a Nexus 7 tablet. There is an app created that allows you annotate books and newspapers through higlighting and writing marginal notes. These factors may be the future of reading.

This article is very intersting as it somewhat correlates to my subject of convenience when reading the digital edition. It mentions how the magazine, "Newsweek" is ending all its printed editions and now switching to online subscriptions. Journalist Tina Brown said that "In our judgment, we have reached a tipping point at which we can most efficiently and effectively reach our readers in all-digital format". It seems how she agrees with my concept of effectiveness and efficiency when it comes to reading in a digital format.