A good newspaper, I suppose, is a nation talking to itself” – Arthur Miller, 1961.

In 2012, or even in the last two months, our nation has witnessed a major presidential election, crisis overseas on account of an Internet video, and devastation on the East Coast by Hurricane Sandy. The newspaper has been form of communication within our country since people realized the importance of documentation and relaying news to the people. The New York Times serves as a majorly credible source for our class to get information from. This newspaper is a place for the intellectually aware people of the United States to come together to discuss and assess problems within the nation. Writers from all different backgrounds, religious beliefs, political opinions, and socioeconomic statuses come together to create this influential newspaper, in effort to keep the people of the United States informed.  In response to the news, readers are invited to discuss and argue with the contributors of the NYT, through digital posts and letters to the editor.

Reading a newspaper can open a person’s eyes in so many different ways. The New York Times was the first newspaper I read on a regular basis, and I am very grateful of it. I have discovered new interests, like reading about business, and being involved and informed of politics by reading the newspaper. I found that it, very simply, feels good to be informed on what is happening around our world. A good newspaper must be one that has an honest view of the news, and is able to fairly relay important information, in hopes to educate and inspire the minds of readers.

Because of the New York Times, I am more interested and excited about the election! I was downtown Chicago for a rally on the night Obama won. It was an incredible experience!