TEACHING STATEMENT

As a writing and media studies instructor, I believe in a hands-on approach to teaching, and in using constant practical application when creating and examining art and culture. Theory, particularly writing theory, must be reinforced by practice: I use daily journals, team assignments and in-class exercises. I employ up-to-date examples of the film industry’s best offerings as creative beacons. I will always choose a final project over a final exam; I believe projects reinforce concepts better than rote learning.

I believe in getting out of the house. I take students on field trips to plays and the latest movies that demonstrate course concepts. My Cult Film class is required to attend at least one midnight screening at The Music Box Theater during the quarter; I've joined them for The Room and Repo Man: The Genetic Opera.

I am not my students’ friend or their superior. I recognize I am simply at a different place on the developmental spectrum and it’s my job to move my students forward. Their observations and opinions have weight. I make myself available to them and enforce their educational obligations to themselves and this institution.  My background as a working artist can help further my students’ professional aspirations; if they are looking for a creative foothold, I know who to talk to.

Most importantly, I believe that any subject I teach can and should be used as a conduit for self-examination. Artists cannot connect to inspiration if they don’t know how to be honest. In my class, students express themselves while looking long and hard at the people they are and the people they hope to become.