noun: the sound produced by a person as they speak

verb: to express something in words

In reference to writing, voice relates to the specific style and opinion a writer has throughout their work. It personalizes a piece by adding expression and meaning. Voice allows a writer to develop a clear and concise argument, moral, and or theme to their writing. 

Voice is an important element in writing, especially in argumentative papers because it adds value and connection between the writer and it's audience.

At the movies with. . .

"What value do we place on the sound of our own voice? How does that affect who you are as a person? When people hear Alex speaking my words, do they experience a diconnect? Does that create a seperation or a distance from one person to the next?"- Roger Ebert

In the previous clip, Roger Ebert, the acclaimed movie critic, tells the story of losing his voice and the steps he has taken to reclaim it, both through a computer generated voice and also through public forums on the internet. 

Ebert speaks of  losing a sense of his opinions because the computer generated voice, by the name of Alex, did not sound like him. He realized that because people could not recognize his voice, they would maybe not take him as seriously nor would they value what he had to say. It seemed as if the lost connection between his voice and his words limited their meaning. He felt as if his speech was rendered worthless.

There is a similarity between Ebert's struggle and a writer's confusion with effective voice in their papers. In an argumentative work, it is necessary to establish a thesis that will provide purpose for one's argument. Voice helps to create a link from the writer's words to the message they hope to convey to the paper's audience. While we are taught that bias in writing is not productive, that is not always the case. Bias, if used properly, can serve as a catalyst for persuasion among the audience. Voice is the best vehicle for legitimate bias as opposed to simple anger and skewed perception. It is necessary for a writer to form a voice as a connection to the point they are attempting to argue. If a writer cannot prove to its audience that they truly believe in what they are writing, then how is the audience convinced? How has the audience been persuaded to go along with the argument?

"I feel as if my blog, my email,twitter, and facebook have given me a substitue for every day conversation. They give me a way to speak. On the web, my real voice finds expression." - Roger Ebert

Even though Ebert is unable to physically voice his opinions, it is clear that his writing still has personality- it still has a voice. Other people may be reading his words, but these individuals do not take credit for Ebert's writing voice. There is no mistaking whose words they are. As we watch Chaz, Ebert's wife, become emotional reading Ebert's monologue, more proof that Ebert's writing voice flows off the paper is manifested.

Voice allows for emotion and feeling to creep into the audience so as to more effectively convey the writing. In this way, a sad voice offers a connection towards sympathetic feelings just as an energetic and happy voice links the reader's reaction to that of laughter at a funny passage.

As Writing Fellows, it is our job to ease the task of writing for a class into one that is pain-less and exciting. We are there for students to feel comfortable addressing their writing questions and feel confident developing not only their skills as writers but also their voice. When we motivate the students to lead in tutoring or brainstormin sessions, it anticipates the student's willingness to claim their writing as their own, opening new doorways into becoming stronger writers. When a writer finds their voice and discovers how to use it effectively, they lose fear towards writing and instead gain a curiousity to venture beyond their original draft into something that is both more creative and more informative. They find a desire to express their words. 

"I have a voice and I do not have to scream. " - Roger Ebert