I have a  come a long way since Spring Quarter of 2012 when I decided to apply for a position at the UCWbL. So many people have influenced the tutor I am becoming and my many accomplishments. Please join me as I recap the many different roles I play in this eclectic community of learners, friends, inspirations, thinkers, and writers--among many other things. 

Writing Fellow

"I started fellowing to be a unique manifestation

of encouraging students’ motivation..." -Clare Stuber

Each quarter, I travel to a different class and I am assigned on average ten writers. We collaborate throughout the ten weeks on two papers, for which I provide written feedback and then a face to face commentary. Sometimes I feel as if I am enrolled in a fifth class because I always learn so much about the course material from my writers. I am also able to build rapport with many of them because they trust that I understand the assignments and respect their ideas.The best part of being a fellow is having my writers see me on the street or walking down the quad and they'll wave to me or stop and ask how everything's going. 

Writing Center Tutor

As a tutor, I recieve many of the same rewarding experiences I do with fellowing but on a more concrete schedule. Many of the writers that come in, I have not worked with before and I have to rely on their explanation of their assignment because I have not met with their professor beforehand. While it requires quicker thinking, tutoring is a nice refresher from fellowing. I never know what I'm going to be working on next, whether it be a written feedback on a research paper on architectural design, a face to face for a personal statement, or a  conversation partner wanting to discuss gender roles in education throughout different cultures. 

CMWR Team Member

Every Friday, I am involved in conversation and culture across so many different spectrums ranging from discussions on cuisine, sports, communication, personality, and music. You can read more about my experience in my professional development. 

Receptionist

"Hello. Thank you for calling the Loop Writing Center, this is ___________"

Before the start of Spring Quarter, I had not really established a present role in the UCWbL community. Becoming a receptionist helped me to open up and get to know more of my peers. My seat in the fun, mobile chair requires me to greet writers and tutors as they come and go, send out completed written feedbacks and appointment reports, answer phones, and deal with any crisis situations that may arise in the office. So far, there have been no fires, just your average cancellations and unattached files here and there.