My Personal Philosophy on Early Childhood Education: “Everyone is a Teacher in my Classroom”

Teacher: Laura Matic

I believe that respectful, caring bonds with children and their families are the vital foundation for a wonderful early childhood experience for a student. Parents are the child’s most important teachers. I believe that families are the most important aspect for the student because they are their child's first teacher. I am an active listener in the parent and child’s everyday learning environment. I believe that children can learn through play, interacting with others, their experiences, and hands-on learning activities. I strive to have upmost respect and love for all the children I teach.

Creating a community in the classroom environment is the beginning for setting the child up for a successful year academically and socially for their development. Everyone is a teacher in my classroom, not just the teacher. Age appropriate resources are available everywhere in the classroom at the child’s access. Children should be able to depend on their classroom community by the consistency of guidance and schedule of routines that are present.  By doing this I am able to provide that feeling of safety that is associated with predictability for children needs and expectations.

What I aspire to be as an early childhood educator is not only helping children learn fundamental skills but getting them excited to explore new things and learning through interactive activities giving them a life long love of learning.  This is my goal with every child I teach. I try to engage students through fun, exciting activities because I believe that if children aren’t having fun then they aren’t learning to their greatest potential.  It is my job to help them find their particular path by giving them opportunities to fit their individual abilities. With every opportunity, keeping the interests of the child ahead of everything else is what I hope for all aspects of my career in early childhood environment.

Here are my strong beliefs as a teacher in this serious profession. I believe in teaching consistent standards and clear expectations. I believe in open communication with parents and family members. I believe in parent involvement in my classroom. I believe in linking learning to student’s real life. I believe in challenging each student individually according to his or her potential. I believe in making time for each student because that matters in academic growth in the school year. Last but not least, I believe a warm classroom community where each student is valued and respected. Everyone is a teacher in my classroom, not just the teacher. I want to teach my students to be genuine, individual, and plainly be themselves.   I will strive to work hard in the classroom to understand these children’s interests and desires. I will try to be the best person I can be for the children that I work with and to model appropriate behaviors not only with the child but the families and my colleagues as well.  I will make sure I am knowledgeable with current issues and trends in all early childhood education and other areas that affect those in early childhood education. I believe that education is an evolving, dynamic, and lifelong process. I take the role of the teacher seriously to educate children for the unknown world.

As an early childhood educator, I teach children, not subjects. My overall goal is to focus on the individual needs and potential of the student as well as their emotional, social, cognitive, physical, and spiritual development. I guide creativity, encourage innovative thinking, acknowledge perseverance, celebrate success, turn frustration into learning opportunities, awaken social responsibility, model fairness and justice—all while building and valuing relationships. I want to be a strong role model for my students. I model these values for the children by cultivating learning, honesty, compassion, and integrity among my educational community. I create a trusting and safe atmosphere for students to explore, question, practice, make mistakes, create, and imagine. By embracing a set of ethical values, I commit to communicating honestly and compassionately. Lastly, I rely on partnerships with parents and guardians to enrich the understanding of the students, to share their unique knowledge and experiences, and to help maintain a healthy, ever-growing learning community in an early childhood education.