As part of learning about rhetorical situations, we were asked to create an ad for a product. This is the ad and the subsequent explanation of it.

For my ad, I chose to create one for the Nikon brand of DSLR cameras. I’m very familiar with the product myself seeing as I own two of them. I decided that I wanted to try something different than the Ashton Kutcher line of ads that Nikon uses for the Coolpix brand of smaller cameras, and go for something that I know would sell to those who are more serious about their photography and camera needs.

The most important thing to a photographer is the quality of photographs that the camera can produce. In such a competitive market for photographers, no one has the patience to deal with a camera that is unreliable in its picture quality and the less time they need to spend working on a photo in post processing, the better. It also needs to be user friendly in the sense that it will not be an extreme hassle to carry around, seeing as a lot of photographers are using these cameras for nature shots such as the one shown in the ad. Missing a shot in a location such as that just because the camera is difficult to bring along is inexcusable for most serious photographers.

So for the headline of the ad, I chose to use the phrase “incredible quality for all of your adventures.” This addresses two of the most important aspects of camera choice, the quality of the photographs taken, and using the word adventure insinuates that the camera will be easy to take along with you, no matter where you have decided to take it. For the tagline I chose the phrase “capture brilliance,” which suggests that all of Nikons products are going to be of astounding, “brilliant” quality, which, as I’ve mentioned, is one of the most important aspects of cameras for a professional photographer.

For this type of ad, you would probably expect to see it in magazines such as “National Geographic” and “Outdoor Photographer,” since both publications have a strong sense of outdoor adventure and travel, and “Outdoor Photographer” especially caters to the specific demographic of photographers that I tailored the ad to. I feel like this makes for an effective ad in this particular market of camera buyers.