I remember sitting in the Digication training session just staring at the screen on my computer. This was new and different and I was always about 3 steps behind the trainer all hour. I doubted whether I was ever going to get it. But now I am guiding my 103 and 104 students through the building of their Digication portfolios seamlessly. One of the things that helped me achieve this is building my own teaching portfolio first in order to familiarize myself with Digication.

I have also learned that it is important to introduce Digication to my students early in the quarter. I have us work together in a computer lab by the second week. I build one on the big screen while they practice building theirs. I also found it is very important at this point to talk about why we are doing this. It's more than just to keep up with current practices and to prepare them for their futures.

Digital portfolios support the WRD learning outcomes and lift students to a meta-awareness about their writing. I also found building a digital portfolio heightens my students' awareness of audience and purpose. They are enjoying the process and learning from it. And I am learning more too-about them, about Digication and about the collection and reflection about one's writing.

-- Tricia