Welcome!

I'm Deanna B., a senior majoring in Women's and Gender Studies with a minor in English Literature.

I'm currently busy working on my senior thesis, on feminist activists' resistence to medicalizing discourses of depression and anxiety. When I'm not reading feminist theory or getting ready to graduate, you can probably find me playing video games with friends or holed away in the back of a good used book store. 

I love dying my hair and cuddling the love of my life, my cat Pigeon. 

This is my first year working as a peer writing tutor for the University Center for Writing based Learning (UCWbL). This portfolio serves as a way to document my work at the UCWbL and track my professional development. In addition to my role as a tutor, I also work as a Writing Fellow and am a member of the Workshops team. 

I grew up reading the comic Calvin and Hobbes. However, though I enjoyed it as a kid, I wasn't able to appreciate the comic's deeper social commentary. This year, however, I restumbled upon this comic and feel that much of what Calvin says relates to my experiences at the UCWbL. I think comics are a great way to start conversations about writing and tutoring, and to make big ideas accessible to larger audiences. So throughout my portfolio I hope you'll enjoy the comics I've included and see how they explore the experiences of writing!   

With that said, please feel free to explore my portfolio and take a look around at my resume, tutoring philosophy, and yearly goals.

-Deanna B.