May 1

Nakagawa Peer Mentoring

• As a peer mentor, you are helping your students achieve the potential within themselves that is hidden to others
  • You share stories with students about your own educational career and the ways you overcame obstacles similar to theirs
  • You listen to a student describe a personal problem and explore resources at DePaul to deal with the problem
  • A common misconception about mentors is that they always have to be older than their mentee, which is not the case.
  • Another misconception associated with mentorship is that only the mentee benefits from the mentoring
  • A strong relationship between a mentor and the mentee should contain benefits on both sides. A good mentor knows how to stand beside their mentee rather than lead all the time
  • As a peer mentor, you should want to establish a positive, personal relationship with your students
  • Developing academic and life skills should be taught to your mentees as they make the big transition between high school and college
  • Enhance your students' ability to interact comfortably and productively with people/groups from diverse, racial, ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds

I was very nervous going into my presentation today. There are aspects of my presentation that I could have gone over more and hashed out. I need to relax when presenting to the class, as I noticed that I was speeding through my presentation and leaving out some discussion questions that I had planned for.