New Challenges: On My Own

Description
As the end of my undergraduate studies was approaching, I had anxiety about leaving my friends and the comfort of a small college town, and was also unsure of what I wanted out of life after college.  I enjoyed growing up in Columbus, Ohio, where my entire family still lived, but felt that I needed a change from what I had always known.  Since I loved the Midwest and knew I wanted to move to a large metropolitan area, I choose Chicago for my new home, even though I had only visited four times previously.  

Importance of the Experience
Anyone who knew me during my childhood and into my adolescence would have never guessed that I would have moved 400 miles away from my family since I have a small, close-knit family.  Even after being away from home at college for four years, leaving them was much harder than I imagined.  The decision to move was life-altering and extremely challenging.  I did not question my choice, and instead focused on the possibilities that awaited me in Chicago.  This demonstrated my desire to gain my independence from my parents.  My trial with the decision-making process will help me convey the importance of taking responsible risks to my students.  At some point in their lives, they will have to make a difficult decision and I want them to feel prepared in understanding the process of cause and effect.

Lessons Learned
Before my move, I felt both excited and nervous.  Not having my parents within a two hour driving radius instantaneously taught me how to rely on myself rather than on others.  Through reflection about the experience, I realize that change does not have to be frightening or cause anxiety. I learned that I needed to allow myself time to adjust to the change.  I discovered how to be flexible and adaptable in my new, unfamiliar surroundings.  When I became lonely, a phone call to a family member or friend in Ohio was calming.  My job allowed me to meet people and make connections  I formed friendships with my colleagues.  We would spend time together on the weekend, outside of work.  They became my local support system.  By moving away from the home I had always known and creating a new home for myself, I have become a determined, independent woman.  

Impact of the Experience
Based on this experience, I know that I can make valuable, challenging decisions in life and adapt to future changes that I may face.  Life is not always about feeling comfortable, but rather about being able to adapt to your surroundings.  I can transfer this knowledge to my students by showing them that at some point in their lives they will need to be self-reliant.  For some students, this could be a current issue and I will be able to support them in handling their needs.  I will encourage all of my students to set goals and determine ways in which to achieve these goals.  They will learn that without trying they may never know what could come of a situation.  My students will feel enabled to be risk takers through my motivation and modeling of independence.