Learning Through Accommodations: The Impact of an Educator

Description
I began taking piano lessons in second grade.  Due to my mild handicap from cerebral palsy, I was not an athletic child but enjoyed and excelled in academics.  My parents and I felt that piano lessons would offer me a personality-shaping, intellectual extracurricular that would promote my self-esteem.  My lessons commenced in second grade. However, in fourth grade, I chose to discontinue lessons with my first instructor and to receive lessons from Mrs. Davis.  Little did I know at the time that my piano teacher would help me learn how to improve my self-esteem.

Importance of the Experience
Having two piano teachers in my ten years of lessons allowed me to compare and contrast teaching methods.  My first teacher’s goal was to teach me proper technique and how to play the music as it was written through a strict practice schedule.  Mrs. Davis took interest in the music genres I enjoyed and found music that corresponded to my ability level.  Her acknowledgment of my disability empowered me to advance with my lessons, because she helped me realize that my disability limited me only if I allowed it.  During times of personal frustration, I turned to the piano as an efficient outlet.  Mrs. Davis encouraged me to practice daily in order to improve my skills, but she did not focus on my perfection of the musical pieces.  Instead, the piano provided me with a mechanism for channeling my energy. 

Lessons Learned
I learned that the quality and involvement of an educator directly impacts how a student views a situation.  Mrs. Davis’s positive attitude altered my self-perception, because she listened to my needs.  Without Mrs. Davis, I would not recognize the accommodations necessary for my personal growth.  Furthermore, I understand that taking risks enabled me to take control of my learning.  If I had not continued with piano lessons, I would not have faced my fear of challenges due to my physical disability.  Understanding my needs and interests required an educator with compassion, empathy, and commitment to my progress.  This experience taught me that the attitude of the teacher directly affects the learning outcomes of the student. 

Impact of the Experience
Mrs. Davis’s flexibility and dedication helped me to feel assured in my abilities.  In my position as an educator, I reflect upon students’ personal needs and the importance of compassion and versatility through first-hand experiences.  Every student needs an advocate to push her when she does not believe in her capabilities.  Piano lessons advanced my positive attitude, allowed me to understand the needs of others, and created my adaptability to changes.  I want to demonstrate to my students how to take responsibility for their learning by modeling how to develop personal interests as well as show dedication and commitment to an activity or idea. I recognize that learning is a continuous process that increases throughout life.  One goal I have as an educator is to persistently support my students in applying lessons learned beyond the classroom.