Graduate School Application Personal Statement

10/14/15

The written word can be a way of life to some people.  Some people enjoy writing, some people enjoy reading other people’s writing, and some people find their style through reading other people’s writing.  I consider finding what is in your heart and soul and configuring it into words a worthy profession.  I write every day; for school, in my journal, I am jotting down notes at this very moment to compose this statement.  The words flow from my fingertips; the nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs fill the computer screen.  Why do I write?  Because I love it.  Because writing completes me.  From what I have experienced as an undergraduate, I am certain that writing is something that can help me figure out where my life will take me, and I feel that if I am able to be a part of the MA in Writing and Publishing program at DePaul University, I will be to achieve a career in writing.

I am currently earning my undergraduate degree at DePaul.  I am majoring in English with a concentration in Creative Writing and I am minoring in Spanish.  I have a GPA of 3.708 and I am graduating in March of 2016.  In my leisure time I write creatively.  I compose poetry, fiction, and nonfiction, whenever I have a free moment.  I have also improved my creative writing skills by earning my minor in Spanish.  Through learning new vocabulary and a new form of grammar, my reading and writing skills have increased, and I am able to write in a language other than English.

If I were to be able to participate in DePaul’s MA in Writing in Publishing Program, I would be better prepared to pursue a career in writing.  By increasing my creative writing skills, I would be better able to find my own creative style in freelance writing or journalism.  I would be able to develop the skills accompanying this profession, in the classroom setting, through workshops, by receiving constructive criticism through the critiquing of my own work, and by having the opportunity to critique other people’s work, so that my editing skills would improve.  I hope to have the skills necessary to be a journalist, at a newspaper located in or near Chicago, or to work as a freelance writer, so that I am able to work as an author of fiction and poetry.  I hope to establish, through the program, a network of people that I am able to work with throughout my educational career at DePaul, so that I am able to supplement whatever career I may seek.

If I were to be a part of DePaul’s MA in Writing and Publishing program, I would devote my time and effort to the program.  I would devote myself to increase my writing skills, and I would work to put forth my work and energy so that I would be a beneficial and hard-working member of the DePaul community.  I am certain that I want to devote myself to writing, and therefore I am certain that this program would be beneficial for me, and that I would be beneficial for this program.