Response to Jim Harrison’s “Old Bird Boy”

I found this poem to be similar to Harrison’s others because they revolve around nature and Harrison’s experience with nature.  I found the poem interesting because in another poem the poet wrote about how he didn’t have feet because of some circumstances of war that he was involved in, and in this poem the narrative involves the poet walking around, with birds, among nature.  I think it’s interesting how Harrison writes sometimes about the worst possible circumstances, such as war, along with some of the best circumstances in life, like in this poem where there is a sense of intense happiness, maybe even something close to heaven, depicted and described.  I find the narrator at his emotional best in this poem, although some of his other poems about war and misery are equally fascinating.  One of my favorite parts is the metaphor of time and direction: “Most birds own the ancient clock of north and south.”  I think the tone of this poem is very pleasant, for the most part, where this poet, one very involved with nature and the environment, finds peace with his existence, and with birds, amiably.