May 6th, 2013

Gerould W. Kern, Editor

The Chicago Tribune

435 N. Michigan Ave.

Chicago, IL 60611

Dear Mr. Kern:

The Dearborn Observatory of Northwestern University is a place that’s hard to find on campus, but is definitely worth the trip.  A Friday night at the Observatory is a mix of a science class and a block party, occurring on the Technological Institute of Northwestern.  The Dearborn Observatory is world-class outreach facility that is open to the public each Friday night.

I propose a 1000-word essay that profiles the art of stargazing more directly through the Dearborn Observatory at Northwestern.  My essay would include two sidebars: one of the two types of telescopes, the other of the other observatories available to the public of Chicago.               

I am a freelance writer and an undergraduate student at DePaul University, working on my Bachelor’s degree in English.  Visiting the observatory has revived my love for stargazing.  The telescope and the tour given by knowledgeable Northwestern students have given me a whole new perspective on astronomy and celestial beauty.  Sharing the observatory’s profile, as told to me by Dr. Smutko, the Manager of Telescope Operations of the Dearborn Observatory, would give me the chance to inform people of the observatory and of the science of stargazing.

I look forward to hearing back from you on this.

Sincerely,

Amy Dillon