​       This page of my digital portfolio is dedicated to samples of my fiction. I have been experimenting as an amateur fiction writer for the past five years, during which I have composed various ramblings, blogs, short stories, and the beginnings of numerous novels that have either been abandonded completely, or temporarily shelved in the dusty attic of my priorities. In the spring of 2009, I conceived of the basic plot for my most ambitious project yet: a fantasy-fiction novel tentatively entitled Icarus. The novel draws upon prevailing themes of African history, world mythology, romance, and war to tell the pseudo-messianic story of a heroic fellowship that attempts to rescue their homeland from a cruel and impending fate. Several chapters of the novel have appeared in the DePaul University honors newsletter and the book continues to undergo regular edits as well as expansions, though it is only half finished. The chapters that I have included here are some of the first that I ever wrote. The chapter entitled Eden is designed to invoke one of Joseph Campbell's stages in the traditional Hero Cycle--the stage in which a divine, supernatural, and female force from outside the protagonists purvue incites or sanctions the beginning of an adventure. Thank you for reading.