This page of my digication portfolio is dedicated to publishing a sample of my performance-based spoken-word poetry. These peices are intended for live audiences, and so they are inherently anathma to print media, but I have included them here anyway in an attempt to capture at least a semblence of my poetic voice. For me, performing poetry is a cathartic release of emotion and an acceptable form of protest against routine, convention, and the weight of insurmountable social pressure to remain the same in the face of circumstances that demand change. It is also a form of self-indulgent pleasure that I pursue in order to extricate spare thoughts and explore the potential connections between mental contemplation and physical action. 

Writing performance poetry is perhaps the most liberated method of storytelling in the sense that it has very few conventional limitations. My poetry features subjects that are directly unrelated to myself, yet I see ascpects of my identity reflected in each of them. Writing spoken word is a laborious process that is frequently held hostage by lack of inspiration and fear of cliche. Perfectionist tendencies and stereotypical notions about "good" poetry exacerbate this writers block and make the creation of each poem a considerable sacrifice of time and energy. For this reason, I tend to write only a few poems a year. It sadens me that I am unable to convey the full effect of these poems within the limitations of this virtual portfolio, but it brings me joy that you can experience them in part. Thank you.